Fall Backyard Burning Season: October 1 – December 15
Spring Backyard Burning Season: March 1 – June 15
Please contact the daily burn line to confirm whether it is a DEQ authorized burn day, including approved hours at: 503.632.0211.
- Backyard burning is NOT permitted inside the DEQ Burn Ban Boundary. Please use the map to find out if you are in the burn ban boundary. To use the map, first type in your address and click enter. When your address appears and if you are located in the blue area, you are in the DEQ Burn Ban Boundary, and are unable to burn. Click HERE for the DEQ Burn Ban Boundary map.
- To file burn complaints or pollution problems related to burning, burn complaints can be made to DEQ by telephone anytime, day or night at: 888.997.7888. Or burn complaints can be filed online through DEQ. Click HERE for the DEQ complaint form.
- Backyard burning includes yard debris, trimmings, and clippings only. Dimensional lumber, trash, other non-yard debris items cannot be burned at any time. Persons must ensure that combustible material is dried to the best extent possible. This includes covering combustible material to protect from moisture and loosely stacking material to eliminate dirt, rocks, or other noncombustible material to promote an adequate air supply within the burning pile.
- Backyard burning is only allowed during daylight hours and within a specified distance from a structure. Open burning shall not be conducted within 50 feet of any structure or other combustible material. Conditions, which could cause the fire to spread to within 50 feet of a structure, shall be eliminated prior to ignition.
- If a fire starts to spread to other combustible materials or threatens structures, call 9-1-1 immediately.