Outdoor Burning Info
Daily Burn Info Hotline: 503-632-0211
Burning Complaints Hotline: 888-997-7888 (website)
Regular Burning Season:
March 1st – June 15th
October 1st – December 15th
- All Clackamas Fire District #1 Open Burning Rules shall be consistent with Oregon Law and the Oregon Fire Code.
- All unlawful fires within the boundaries of Clackamas Fire District #1 may be subject to cost recovery fees, DEQ referral, and Oregon Department of Forestry citation processes when appropriate.
- Open Burning Rules will be posted on the Fire District’s public web site and be available in print.
- Open Burning Rules shall include clear, concise, and user-friendly definitions that are compliant with the Oregon Plain Language Act (ORS 183.750).
- Unlawful outdoor fires during a declared District-wide high community fire danger burn ban are deemed a hazard to public safety and will result in a Fire District response, extinguishment, and invoicing of cost recovery fees for Fire District actions taken.
- Outdoor fires resulting in smoke impairing the visibility of a public roadway have been deemed a hazard to public safety and will result in a Fire District response, extinguishment, and consideration for cost recovery fees for Fire District actions taken.
- Outdoor fires resulting in smokecausing respiratory illness, which requires emergency medical ambulance transportation, are deemed a hazard to public safety and will include a Fire District response, extinguishment at the fire official’s discretion, and consideration of cost recovery fees for Fire District actions taken.
- Unless an open burning complaint has been deemed a hazard to public safety, it represents a low priority service call and thus will not take priority over emergency response or emergency response readiness.
- Open Burning complaints shall be submitted by members of the public by calling 503-742-2660 (CFD#1 Fire Prevention M-F) or 503-655-8211 (C-Com Dispatch non-emergency line) and will be sorted and prioritized to determine the appropriate level of response.
- Industrial and Commercial Open Burning is prohibited within all of Clackamas County.
- Construction Waste and Demolition Open Burning are only allowed outside of the special open burning control areas (3 & 6 mile rules).
- Slash Burning is allowed with a valid permit issued by Oregon Department of Forestry under the Smoke Management Program. Small amounts of forestland debris not resulting from active logging or thinning may be burned under the Back Yard Burning rules but only during the Back Yard Burning seasons. This does not include material resulting from land clearing activities.
- Field Burning is regulated by the Oregon Department of Agriculture.
Any open fire must be extinguished by the responsible party when so ordered by any officer of a police or fire department if it is determined that the smoke emissions are offensive to occupants or surrounding property, or if burning is determined to constitute a hazardous condition or appears to endanger the property or persons of others. The person responsible for any fire can be held liable for damages to other persons or other person’s property as a result of their fire. The fire district may also charge for costs to respond and extinguish any fire not permitted under these rules (minimum fee of $125.00 per violation).
- General Fee (Ordinance 09-01)
- Rules For Cost Recovery Fees (Resolution 09-01)
- Laws and Regulations Regarding Open Burning