Subscribe To The Chief's Newsletter
Prior to 1933, cities were not allowed to render fire service to areas outside their city limits. If a resident was outside any city limits there was little or no formal fire protection. The 1933 legislature enacted laws to allow Rural Fire Protection Districts (RFPD) to be established with locally elected five member Board of Directors.
The State Fire Marshal’s office established and assigned numbers (by County) to new entities. The unprotected gaps became Zones, which came under the authority of the County Commissioners as part of Clackamas County Government, not as a Municipal Corporation. In the 1940s to early 1970s Clackamas County Zone 2, (last group of county employed fire wardens), operated out of the Oregon City Fire Department. In 1974, Clackamas County Commissioners decided to get out of the fire protection business altogether, which subsequently formed CCFD #54. This new district staffed engine companies at stations in Redland and Hilltop area of Oregon City.
Milwaukie RFPD #56 was a contract district with the City of Milwaukie, but in 1959 they operated “on their own” with employees, apparatus and equipment. Milwaukie RFPD #56 covered areas east of the City of Milwaukie, west of the City of Happy Valley and north into Errol Heights. The original Multnomah County #12, at one time, extended all the way north to SE 82nd and Division Street.
In 1976, what remained of the two Districts merged, beginning the current Clackamas County Fire District #1. In 1985, Clackamas Fire District #1 contracted with the City of Portland in an effort to cut costs and maintain service levels out of Clackamas Fire District #1’s stations.
In the 1980s, aggressive annexation efforts by the City of Oregon City, City of Portland on north end and City of Milwaukie moving east, forced the individual RFPD’s to unite. This prompted merger discussions with neighboring fire districts.
In 1988, Happy Valley District #65, CCFD #71 and CCFD #54 joined together as CCFD #71. With six fire stations serving 89 square miles, they became one of the largest fire districts in the region.
In 1990, when Clackamas Fire District #1’s contract with the City expired, CCFD #71 and Clackamas Fire District #1 merged, retaining the name Clackamas Fire District #1.
In 1994, the Beavercreek Fire District merged with Clackamas Fire District #1.
In January 1997, Clackamas Fire District #1 entered a contractual agreement to provide fire and emergency medical services to the City of Milwaukie.
In July of 1998, the Oak Lodge Fire District merged with Clackamas Fire District #1.
In 2002, Oregon City signed a ten-year contract with Clackamas Fire District #1 to begin providing for Fire and EMS Services. Also, in November 2002, voters of Clackamas County Fire District #68 approved annexation into the fire district. All of these mergers, consolidations, and contracts have resulted in Clackamas Fire District #1 providing service to over 179,000 citizens in an area covering nearly 200 square miles.
In May of 2005, voters approved annexation of Milwaukie into Clackamas Fire District #1 to become their permanent provider of Fire and EMS Services.
In Novemeber of 2007, voters overwhelmingly approved annexation into Clackamas Fire District #1 to become the permanent Fire and EMS Service provider.
In 2014, the Clackamas Board of Directors and Boring Fire District Board of Directors unanimously approved a contract for services in which Clackamas Fire District #1 provides fire and emergency services to the citizens of Boring Fire District #59 through a five year contract.
|Clackamas Fire District #1 Administration | 11300 SE Fuller Road, Milwaukie, OR 97222 | 503.742.2600|